Charles Xavier is the headmaster and founder of Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, the X-Men and the New Mutants. He shares most of the early history of his earth 616 counterpart up to the trial of Magneto. Other differences in their realities have lead Charles of this earth to become more active with the U.S. government.
Early Life and founding of the X-MenEdit
Charles Xavier's early life is identical to that of the Earth 616 Xavier. The earliest difference in their histories is the inclusion of two mutants in the original team of X-Men who exist in this world: Jenny Lynn Hayden and her brother Todd Rice. Xavier took in the twins around the same time he found Scott Summers and they were founding members of the X-Men as Jade and Obsidian.
Within the first 2 years Xavier would also be the one to let the man of steel, Superman, know that he was not a mutant. It was also with Charles' help that Superman was able to unravel the complete details of his own alien heritage.
Lilandra, princess of the alien Shi'ar race and the woman he shared an intense psychic bond with across the vast distance that separated their two planets, came to Earth to implore Xavier for his help against her mad tyrannical brother D'Ken. He instantly aided her by deploying his X-Men. When Jean Grey returned from the Savage Land to tell him that all the X-Men were dead, he shut down the school and traveled with Lilandra to her kingdom, where she was crowned Empress. Xavier dreamed of her and Lilandra knew they were soul mates. Xavier and Lilandra fell in love, and for a time he lived on Chandilar, the Shi'ar throneworld, as her consort.
He had no other choice but to challenge the Shi'ar Imperial Gaurd to a duel over the fate of the Phoenix, when she destroyed a Shi'ar world. Xavier emerged victorious with help, however the Phoenix was returned to its true state by the Spectre. Jean Grey, who was believed dead was returned to the team and wed longtime lover, Scott Summers.
Encountering the alien race called the Brood, Xavier was separated from the X-Men in space and after the explosion of their spaceship in hyperspace, Xavier believed his students dead. With the apparent deaths of the second team of X-Men, Xavier, encouraged by MacTaggart, took on a new class of mutant students, whom he named the New Mutants. This new team was comprised of mutants: Krypton, Indigo, The Dark, The Scarlet Witch, First Strike, and The Void.
Unknown to Xavier, the Brood had secretly implanted an egg within Xavier's body. The X-Men returned in time to save the New Mutants from the Brood infected Xavier before he could infect them as well. Then MacTaggart and the X-Men's space-faring allies, the Starjammers, saved Xavier by transferring his mind into a newly cloned, somewhat younger body in which he could once again walk; he felt like a "whole man". The joy was short-lived as Xavier's own mental insecurities had created a psychosomatic condition now preventing Charles from walking, though his legs work perfectly.
While recovering on Muir Island, Charles met with former lover Gabrielle Haller and discovered that he was her teenage son's father. The autistic boy, David, suffered from multiple personality disorder and had vast psionic powers like his father. After helping him and his team to escape from David's mind, Xavier promised he would always be there for him.
In subsequent months, Xavier suffered physical injuries and psychic strains that left him on the brink of death due in part to a hate crime wrought by anti-mutant students at Columbia University, where Xavier was an adjunct professor, and an attack by the children of Baron von Strucker at Magneto's court trial. Lilandra and the Starjammers took him into outer space where they used Shi'ar technology to restore him to health.
During this time Scott Summers took over his role as head of the School and the X-Men. It was during this time that Xavier would hear of the murder of Summers' daughter Rachel at the hands of Mr Sinister. His extended sojourn in space with the Starjammers interrupted by the tragic event, Xavier finally returned to Earth. Both the original,and second teams of X-Men as well as the New Mutants, reassembled , under his leadership, including with new recruits like Gambit, Psylocke and Colossus
While trying to save the life and soul of the second child of Scott and Jean, Xavier led the X-Men against the Legion only to have his spine broken in the Astral Plane battling his son. He managed to save the Summers infant at the cost of the damage leaving him crippled and confined to a wheelchair once more. In gratitude to their long time "leader and father" Scott and Jean name the infant, Xavier.
In later years the Shadow King would reappear, using his powers to shatter the mental blocks created in Legion by Xavier forcing a final confrontation between father and son. The result was Legion killing Charles who was unwilling to slaughter his own son. Using his powers to travel back in time at the Shadow King's urging Legion went back in time and killed his father before he could form the X-Men or kill the body of the Shadow King. The paradox caused in time allowed Bishop a X-Man from a possible future, to come back in time and kill Legion thus returning Xavier to life and correcting the paradox.
Following the election of President Kelly to office in the early 2000's, Xavier was contracted by the new president to create an experimental program to help bring mutants into the mainstream and create the wide trust Xavier had long sought. Working with S.H.I.E.L.D. commander, Nick Fury, Xavier crafted the X-factor agenda. The agenda called for a set of teams to be developed, comprised of meta-humans to police areas of the U.S. that were not home to large groups of super-heroes. The X-Men were chosen by President Kelly to fill the positions, giving Xavier a chance to make his life long dream a reality. With the X-Men now effectively federal marshals answering to the secretary general and Fury, Xavier returned his primary attentions to the school and its growing body of students.
Stress continued to mount on Professor X, as his students call him, when the young X-Men Black team consisting of Krypton, the Dark, Indigo, The Void, The Longman and the Ray were lost in and extra-dimensional portal. This event followed by the capture and torture of several X-Men by the government of Genosha forced Xavier to consider disbanding the X-Men all together.
It was in this environment that radical, Reverend William Stryker arranged to have Professor Xavier kidnapped, brainwashed, and attached to a machine that, using his brainpower, would kill all living mutants. In order to stop this scheme, the X-Men were forced to join forces with their nemesis, Magneto. When the extent of his bigotry became obvious (he attemped to kill then 12 year old Kitty Pryde in front of a television audience), one of his own security guards shot and arrested him. The display of the common people being willing to defend mutants caused Xavier to reconsider ending the X-Men.
In recent years, Xavier has remained an outspoken proponent for mutants and as a scientist is considered to be the world's foremost authority on human genetic mutation. His chief rivals are Dr. Emil Hamilton, Reed Richards and his own student Dr Henry McCoy.
Telepathy: able to read minds and project his own thoughts into the minds of others within a radius of 250 miles (on Earth). With extreme effort he can greatly extend that radius. When synced with Cerebro, he can connect to every mind on a planet. Whether or not this also relates to all sentient lifeforms or specifically with Humans and Mutants is not known. After he was thrown into the M'Kraan Crystal, it not only restored his mutation, but made his telepathy more powerful than it has been previously, thereby making him the world's most powerful telepath once again.
- Telepathic Illusion: ability to create realistic telepathic illusions and cause people to experience events which are not actually occurring.
- Telepathic Cloak: can mask his presence from being detected by others. His abilities can at times go undetected or be counteracted by other more powerful telepaths depending on their level of skill in using their own psi abilities. He can extend these defenses to others around him as well.
- Psi Link: ability to develop a mental link with any person which remains as a connection to that individual.
- Telepathic Camouflage: ability to mask himself, and other peoples' presence from those around him. Can telepathically disguise himself, making his appearance to those around him quite different (changing the appearance of clothing, as well as more involved disguising).
- Mind Blast: ability to place large amounts of information in another's mind.
- Mind Control: ability to control the minds of others upon mere concentration. This power can allow him to control the thoughts and actions of others.
- Mental Paralysis:Xavier can induce temporary mental or physical paralysis. He can even go so far as to completely shut down several peoples' minds at once, making it appear as if time has stopped.
- Mind Possession: ability to possess the mind of another, and use that being's body as his own.
- Mind Alteration: ability to alter the minds of others by force of will, permanently changing their personality partially or entirely.
- Mental Amnesia: ability to cause loss of particular memories and amnesia in another person or even in a group of people.
- Psionic Shield: ability to erect a psychic shield for protection of himself and of other minds.
- Psionic Blasts: can project psionic force bolts which have no physical effects but which can affect a victim's mind so as to cause the victim pain or unconsciousness and can even kill an adversary.
- Astral Projection: ability to Astral Travel and communicate with others astrally through his own will, or through contact with the thoughts and memories of others. In the astral realm, he can use his powers to create "ectoplasmic" objects. He cannot engage in long range astral projection on the earthly plane.
- Mental Detection: can sense the presence of another superhuman mutant within a small but as yet undefined radius of himself by perceiving the distinctive mental radiations emitted by such a being.
- Mind Transferal: able to transfer both his mind and powers into other host bodies if his own physical body could be somehow killed.
- Absorb Information: ability to quickly process and store information, by mental transference.
- Heal Trauma: The ability to erase a person’s memories and to heal mental trauma through “psychic surgery,” the power to stimulate or deaden the pain and pleasure centers in a persons brain.
- Mental Sedating: Can telepathically "sedate" his targets so that, if already rendered unconscious, they remain so for as long as he continues to "sedate" them
- Dilate Power: Professor X can place “psychic inhibitors” in the minds of mutant adversaries to prevent them from using their powers. One example of this is Little Xavier Summers.
Telekinesis: Professor X also possesses low-level telekinetic abilities, though these seem to be incredibly unstable. using his mind, the Professor can lift and manipulate about 100lbs with intense concentration.
Genius-level Intellect: A natural genius, Xavier is a leading authority on genetics, mutation, and psionics. He possesses considerable expertise in other life sciences. He is highly talented in devising equipment for utilizing and enhancing psionic powers. Xavier is also quite the masterful tactician and strategist, effectively evaluating situations and devising swift responses; he has, on numerous occasions, even fashioned long-term operations as complex as those of adversaries such as Sinister, Magneto, and Apocalypse.
Military Training: Charles served in the United States Military, secretly employing his abilities to specialize in search and rescue missions.
Exceptional Fighter: In his travels in the East, he became a proficient hand-to-hand combatant and gained knowledge of pressure points.
Knowledge of the body: As an extension of his studies of pressure points, Xavier's knowledge of the body and its spiritual make-up has gained him the unofficial degree of a seasoned Zen master. In addition to giving him the ability to keep in the prime of his physique it also helps him in understanding and mastering astral combat. In spite of his age, he has maintained an impressive Olympic chassis long since before he founded the X-Men and has kept himself in perfect condition ever since.
Strength level Strength of a normal man his age and size who engages in moderate regular exercise, mostly in his upper body.